Monday, October 11, 2010

Hooray for Baking Soda!

 

Today on The Nifty Nook I wanted to talk about one of my new adventures, "Green Cleaning." :) Since I am almost always in an arm's length distance of Grace it is really important to me that all of the cleaners I use in the house don't produce toxic odors for her little nose. Baking Soda has been a major favorite of mine lately! LOVING that stuff! :) I have used it to clean my stove, disposal, sink, and any cookware that gets food caked on it. I want to share these little tips with you, in case you have little ones or are just interested in being "Green."


Stove Top (Burners): I love a CLEAN stove top! I almost always have to have a clean stove top before I cook haha. What I do is easy and very effective. Simply remove the burners and give them a light rinse and sprinkle them with Baking Soda I usually let it sit for a bit then I gently scrub them clean with steel wool. One more rinse to remove the Baking Soda and then I let them air dry. Wal-aah! All done! :) Just pop them back in and you are ready to rock and roll! :)

Garbage Disposal: About every 2-3 weeks I "deep" clean our disposal. Go ahead and pour 1/2 a cup of baking soda down the disposal and then pour 1 cup of white vinegar in after it. Quickly put in the stopper (if you have a double sink do both) and listen to it's magical cleaning sounds. :) While the Baking Soda and Vinegar are doing their thing put a medium sized pot of water onto boil. Once you get a nice consistent boil unstop the drain(s) and pour in the water. After I let the disposal cool, I run about a cup and a half of ice thru the disposal (with the sink running). Now you should have an amazingly clean disposal! Yay! I run the ice through at least once a week, especially if I have taken advantage of the  disposal the past couple of days lol!

Sink: When I clean my sink I usually use Baking Powder as a first step. I simply wet down the sink, sprinkle the Baking Soda around, lightly scrub it, and then let it sit for a few minutes. After a quick rinse I move onto the rest of my sink cleaning routine. :) Easy Peasy!

Cookware: Every so often you have that one dish that looks like it is going to be a major PAIN to clean. Simply sprinkle on a little Baking Powder and let it help you take some ease out of your elbow grease! :)

Feel free to comment below or email me if any of these Baking Soda tips work for you, I would love to know! :) And since I am constantly trying out different cleaning products and different "Green" cleaning methods please share with me your finds! I would LOVE it! :) Especially if you have a "green" Oven cleaning recipe! :)

Lots of Love! Hope you enjoyed today's post! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment