Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Gracegivingmas 2013


This past November our world was rocked. Hard.

Our greatest earthly treasure seemed to be slipping from our grasp; and there was nothing we could do. I felt helpless.


So I did what I could; be the best mommy/advocate/wife/force-of-nature possible in this situation. I gave my all. That is all I can give, and pray that it is God's will for Grace to stay here a bit longer. He is hers, to give and take away; she is a gift to us, God does not owe us her. We have blissfully enjoyed raising this treasure for four years, she is living proof we serve a loving God. Everyday with her is testimony to that.

But what I hadn't realized until these three heart-wrenching weeks, is was what a blessing practiced steadfast trust is... In a relationship with our Savior. To intentionally trust him everyday, never knowing what the day may bring; but knowing He is sovereign, whether it be a day abound in blessings or tears.

Over the past few years I have been inspired by the incredible faith of our forefathers; the pioneers who lived by faith and trust for survival. They didn't need lightshows at church, retreats, or multitudes of the latest bible-studies; to trust Jesus daily. They just lived by it, out of necessity. They were not finicky in their faith, but truly made God their Rock. Incredible.

That is the desire of my heart.

And then it happened.

Necessity came clamoring on my door, when our precious Grace was born; and has made itself at home ever since.

But I found living by trust isn't easy, or romantic; but it is the most real thing I have ever done.

Because when that trust was put to the test this time, I experienced one of the most incredible moments of my life.

I was saddened at the thought of losing my girl, but not fearful. I know God has her back, and mine; whatever happens.

I didn't lose myself in despair or doubt God's plan, like a younger Erica could have; I just did the best job I could possibly do, to get her home and healthy... And I knew that it was enough. Because life and death are not my skill set, they are His.

I trusted Him, and our precious girl is happily playing in our house today. God is good.

I trusted Him, and if our precious girl never made it out of Alabama... God would still be good.

We trust Him. We trust that He is sovereign. We trust and know that He loves us; blessings or tears.

One of my favorite hymns that is about 130 years old, has been on a loop since our second hospital trip (when things began looking more serious); "Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus." It resonates the cry of my heart.

"Oh, how sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to trust His cleansing blood;
And in simple faith to plunge me
'Neath the healing, cleansing flood."
 
"I'm so glad I learned to trust Thee,
Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend;
And I know Thou art with me,
Wilt be with me til the end."

So this holiday season, we have much to be thankful for; we are rejoicing having our sweet girl home and smiling, but we are also praising God for the opportunity to endure trials...


So we can learn to trust Him more.

This is the heart of Gracegivingmas.

And I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate God's love for us; than with the gift of family, laughter, and pie. ;)



And opening some Christmas presents a little early. ;)


This was the very first time she has ever ripped wrapping paper by herself. A true gift for us to watch.


It was also a good time to pick up the camera, after having neglected it for almost the whole month.


My heart was incredibly happy to be capturing my beautiful family.


And I was 100% fine not getting any "regular" smiles. :)


And snapping a few impromptu family photos is always a blast; freezing time for one moment. And snagging a few family portraits for the newlyweds. :)


I am very thankful my littlest sister found one of the good ones. We are blessed with our newest brother in love.

 
Life will have it's times of crises; but it's up to us to either hold onto the reins for dear life, or relinquish them to the One who can easily guide them... Before tragedy comes charging through our front door.
 
"Yes, 'tis sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just from sin and self to cease;
Just from Jesus simply taking
Life and rest, and joy and peace."
 
Happy Thanksgiving & Merry Christmas, from the Wheat family.


2 comments:

  1. That was beautiful and inspiring Erica. Grace and your family are in my prayers. Thank you for sharing such an amazing testimony with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalia! Every prayer is truly appreciated! :)

      Delete